The story of our church has roots that go back to the mid 1800’s when one of the first missionaries arrived in Jay County at a time when the countryside was still mostly wild and untamed. Rev. Isaac Taylor arrived in Wabash Township in 1840 at the request of M.P. Montgomery. Montgomery was part of a small settlement of Christians in the area and was instrumental in organizing this group of believers. The first meeting house (Limberlost Church) was located east of Westchester and included a church and cemetery. This was built in 1841 and was one of the first churches in Jay County. It was later abandoned in 1862.
In 1901, Rev. Allie Sipe and these local Christians reorganized and chartered a new church in the nearby small rural community of Westchester. At the time, Westchester had a grocery store, post office, blacksmith, schoolhouse and a roadhouse (hotel). In 1902, a sanctuary was erected for a cost of $1,700 and used donated lumber from the old Limberlost Church. Land for the church was donated by Philip and Sarah Stolz, who were also charter members of the newly founded church. The church was located on the NE corner of county roads 450 E and 400 N until 1953 when it was moved to its present location on the SW corner of the intersection.
The Church at Westchester has been a light at these crossroads since 1901. Our church logo, stylized to represent the cross and the crossroads, can also be viewed as a juncture, intersection and turning point. We believe the cross and all it represents is the most important juncture in a person’s life when they receive Jesus as Savior and Lord. Come out and join us on the crossroads where we are Christ Centered, Spirit Led and Kingdom Focused.